ATSF GP60M 113
I've made a few improvements to enhance the realism of the superb Fox Valley Models product.
Below: I replaced the stock LEDs for the headlight and ditch lights
with brighter LEDs. The Brightek QBLP674-IWM-WW white LEDs
are a larger size, requiring gentle removal of a bit of soldermask
from the LED board before soldering to the exposed copper traces.
Below: The right side trucks received Details West spare knuckle holders. I added Precision Scale 39036 small round
fuel pressure gauges to the fuel tank (both sides) - this product is hard to find, but this gauge is also available in Detail
Associates 3102 fuel tank detail set. I masked off the grills and brush-painted them with diluted black, then lightly wiped
off the outermost rib surfaces before the paint dried. I also painted black the small oval sight window on the right side.
Below: Unit 113 got a black nose-top, replicating a Santa Fe modification made in the early
1990's to reduce glare for the crew. I also painted the cab-top antennae silver. Exhaust weathering
on top surfaces is black chalk streaked with a stiff brush, over-sprayed with a diluted black/brown
paint. The exhaust stack is more heavily weathered than other rooftop areas.
Right: End modifications
include painting the stock
yellow MU cables red (the
as-delivered yellow ones
didn't last long on the
prototypes), replacing the
cast handrail chain with
per-inch scale chain, and
painting the lift bars silver.
I painted the carbody grabs
and window wipers black,
and the snow plow grabs
yellow. I applied safety slogan
decals to all four step wells
and crewmen to the cab
interior, which was repainted.
Below: The left side received a Details West speed recorder on the front axle journal. I added Microscale flag decals to the nose sides,
which was Santa Fe's way of supporting the troops in the first Gulf War. Road dust weathering is simulated using brown chalk randomly
applied to underframes, fuel tanks, trucks, pilots, steps, and the lower portion of carbodies, then over-sprayed with dullcote. Black and brown
art pencils were used to make small rust spots and fuel spill streaks. Wheels and couplers were brush-painted a black/brown grungy color.
Below: 113 leading my Super Fleet GP60 consist.